How To Choose the Best Bunk Beds
As a parent, you know how much of a struggle bedtime can be. There are so many negotiations happening you feel like you’d rather get a promotion rather than get your tiny tyke into bed for the night. From “just five more minutes” of TV to “one more bedtime story”, you’ve probably heard it all, but it does not get easier.
What if there’s a way to get kids excited about going to bed? That would be a lifesaver, right? The thing is, there is a way of making bedtime fun and it’s been a part of many homes for decades: the bunk bed.
Kids just love how much fun the best bunk beds can be and parents are slowly realizing how amazing this type of bed can be. The bunk bed once lost its popularity with parents but it is now making a huge comeback with modern-day parents.
If you’re still undecided about getting a bunk bed for your kids, here are just some of the benefits you’ll get from this classic yet innovative bed type.
The first and most basic benefit of getting a bunk bed is to save space. A bunk bed helps you utilize a single bedroom and make it fit for two kids to sleep in.
There are even some types of bunk beds that don’t just serve as a bed for two, but also have enough space for drawers and other storing essentials. This is an advantage best appreciated by parents who have more than two children and do not have the extra room to spare.
A bunk bed helps you make use of the vertical space in a bedroom without sacrificing the floor space, it is advantageous to have a bunk bed when you want to maximize your limited space.
Save Some Cash
Bunk beds are also great to have when you want to save some extra cash. With this type of bed, you will no longer need to purchase a headboard and a box spring for the bed. All you need is your handy self, some time and mattresses, then your kids will each have their beds.
On the bigger issue of money-saving, you can cut down costs for utilities seeing as your kids will share a room and consume less electricity. Plus, you won’t have to expand any rooms you already have, especially if you are expecting a newborn anytime soon.
Flexible and Multi-Purpose
Another benefit of having a bunk bed instead of regular beds is the flexibility it offers. Today, many bunk beds can spilt into two, giving your kids the option of having an upper and lower bunk or to be closer to the ground. This is a good option to have when you have younger children who are not yet comfortable with staying on the upper bunk.
There are also choices in bunk bed sizes. Some have a standard twin or standard full size for both bunks, and there are beds that have a combination of both. This means that bunk beds are great for kids of all ages, and even adults.
The great news is, bunk beds aren’t just limited to those uses, there are some that can even convert to sofas which make a great study area for your kids. Look into these different styles and see which one appeals to you and your kids the most.
Features that Make the Best Bunk Beds
Before we get into the specific bunk beds that come highly recommended by parents, there are a few key features you should look into. This will help you narrow down the choices of bunk beds and lower the chances of buyer’s remorse.
- Frame Type – The frame is one of the most important factors you should consider when looking into bunk beds. The main types of frames are metal and wood. When choosing, keep this in mind: metal frames are more affordable, but wooden frames are sturdier.
- Safety Rails – Also known as guardrails. This is a feature normally found on the upper bunk. This prevents children from falling while they sleep and serves as an added safety precaution. Sometimes safety rails can also be attached to the bottom bunk if both children using the bunk bed are young.
- Ladders or Stairs – To get up to the upper bunk you will need to climb. There are some beds that come with actual full stairs and some that come with a ladder. This can be attached permanently or can be removed, depending on your bed type.
- Separable or Not – This is a feature that most bunk beds come with today. This means you can take the top bunk off and create a single, separate bed if both your children prefer to sleep near the ground.
These are just some of the features you can compare when looking for bunk beds, but one thing is clear; these beds will help you save both on money and on space. With that in mind, here are some suggestions for bunk beds:
Top 5 Best Bunk Beds Worth Checking Out
Dorel Home Products Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed
Bunk beds are great for parents who have to work with a limited space and a tight budget. Having this type of bed for your kids will allow you to save money on an extra bed while also ensuring your kids get a bed of their own to sleep in every night. One good option for bunk beds is the Dorel Home Products Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed.
In this mini-review, we will point out all of its features, the pros that come with this particular bunk bed, and some of the cons that you might encounter as well.
- Comes in a neutral black color that fits with most room décor
- Metal frame
- Maximize space of the room
- Fits 1 standard twin and 1 standard full mattress
- Mattresses sold separately
- Full-length guardrails installed in the upper bunk for safety
- Assembly is required
- Expert Assembly available for an extra fee
- Sleek and simple design
- Stable metal frame can last for years
- Very affordable
- Heavy and sturdy metal frame
- Great for both younger and older kids
- Comes with an easy to follow instruction manual
- Free shipping
- Withstands rough play
- Comes with safety rails installed for the upper bunk
- Safe for young kids to use
- Too heavy to lift alone
- May be hard to assemble for someone who is inexperienced
- Takes time to assemble
- Can be squeaky and wobbly
For parents who have both younger and older kids and limited space, the Dorel Home Products Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed is a great choice for a bunk bed. It is also a very affordable option that comes highly recommended by those who have tried this bunk bed at home.
Zinus Easy Assembly Quick Lock Twin Over Twin Classic Metal Bunk Bed
Sharing a room with a sibling can sometimes be an issue for kids, especially when it gets too crowded. Due to this common problem, bunk beds became a popular bed choice for many parents back in the day.
Somehow, bunk beds went out of fashion, but have recently resurfaced with modern-day parents. This could be due to houses being smaller than they used to be, or just because both kids and their parents like the look of bunk beds.
Whichever your reason for looking at bunk beds, the Zinus Easy Assembly Quick Lock Twin Over Twin Classic Metal Bunk Bed is an option worth considering. Here are its features, pros, and cons to help you learn more about this specific bunk bed before you make a purchase.
- Assembles easily due to a patent pending quick-lock system
- Fully assembles in less than an hour
- Offers strong support
- Does not require the use of a box spring
- Metal frame
- Ships using FedEx or UPS for convenience
- Comes with two, four-step integrated ladders
- Makes climbing on both sides easily
- Standard two twin beds
- Does not come with the mattresses
- Dimensions: 76.2”L x 41.3”W x 60.8”H
- 175 pound limit per bunk
- Has a 5-year warranty
- Very easy to assemble
- No experience needed for assembling
- Patent pending quick lock system makes it more efficient
- Great for saving space and money
- Offers proper support
- Two ladders make it more fun for kids
- Light and easy to maneuver when cleaning
- Perfect for younger kids
- Sturdy frame
- Can only accommodate younger kids
- May not be suitable for teenagers and adults
- Light frame becomes wobbly under intense weight
- Not versatile enough when it comes to who can use it
- Shakes when moved too much
The Zinus Easy Assembly Quick Lock Twin Over Twin Classic Metal Bunk Bed is a good choice for parents with younger kids who want to save space and money when it comes to furnishing their kids’ bedroom.
DHP Twin Sized Bunk Bed Over Full Sized Bed with Metal Frame
Looking for affordable options when it comes to bedroom furniture for kids? Think about a bunk bed. It is a space-saving bed type that both kids and adults enjoy.
Kids always feel like they are in a sleepover and adults love the efficiency and the savings that come with choosing a bunk bed over normal beds. This is especially handy for parents who have more than one child and want to maximize the floor space in a bedroom.
Since the product has proven itself useful and beneficial, there are many bunk beds available to choose from, and it can get confusing.
To help you in your search for the best bunk bed, this review will cover the DHP Twin Sized Bunk Bed Over Full Sized Bed with Metal Frame and the reasons why it is very popular with parents and kids.
- Neutral white color
- Durable metal frame
- Holds one twin and one full-sized mattress
- Mattresses not included
- Secured side ladder
- Top bunk fitted with safety rails and holds up to 200 pounds
- Functional and elegant design
- Saves space and money
- Expert assembly available for an extra fee
- Dimensions: 78” x 56.5” x 61.5”
- Very sturdy metal frame
- Reliable Dorel Home Products item
- White color makes it easier to match with décor
- Safe for child use on both bottom and top bunk due to guard rails on top bunk
- Works great even for older teens
- Holds a great amount of weight
- Kids can use it for years
- Hassle-free assembly option available for a fee
- Heavy to move inside the house
- Some parts can be missing when received
- Too much weight can bend the metal frames
- Wear and tear can reduce lifespan of the bunk bed
Saving space while also saving money has been made possible by the DHP Twin Sized Bunk Bed Over Full Sized Bed with Metal Frame. If you want a bunk bed that can accommodate younger and older kids this is the bunk bed you should consider.
DPH Sturdy Kids Twin Over Full Metal Bunk Bed with Stairs
Balancing style and comfort is a difficult task when decorating a room. It becomes even more challenging when you’re considering a bunk bed for your kids’ room.
Bunk beds are normally considered tacky, which is probably why they went out of style in the last few years. This has all changed because bunk beds now have been redesigned to look more stylish, yet still be very efficient and affordable.
One perfect example is the DPH Sturdy Kids Twin Over Full Metal Bunk Bed with Stairs which will be discussed in this review.
- Thick and sturdy black metal frame
- Guardrails installed on upper bunk
- Does not require box springs
- Detachable stairs installed at the foot of both beds
- Twin and full-size bed frames
- Top bunk holds up to 200 pounds
- Lower bunk holds up to 450 pounds
- Mattresses sold separately
- For an additional fee, expert assembly is available
- Not susceptible to wobbling or shaking
- Withstands great weight
- Can be used by small children, growing teens, and adults
- Value for money
- Very easy to assembly
- Does not bend or break even after prolonged use of an adult
- Misconceptions about mattresses included
- May squeak
- May arrive with missing or wrong parts
For a bunk bed option that both adults and kids can use for a prolonged period of time, the DPH Sturdy Kids Twin Over Full Metal Bunk Bed with Stairs is a great choice. You can have two beds fit in one room without overcrowding and still stay within budget with this bunk bed.
Dorel Living Brady Twin Over Full Solid Wood
Those who think that bunk beds have gone out of fashion and should remain out of fashion have not yet seen the Dorel Living Brady Twin Over Full Solid Wood. This type of bunk bed and those similar to it allow a stylish look for a room while still saving on both money and space.
It has a modern design that many metal framed bunk beds lack, which what many modern parents look for. Bunk beds like these help erase the notion that bunk beds are tacky, and they help in reviving the bunk bed fad.
If you’re not so sure about getting a bunk bed for your children, read on to learn more about the Dorel Living Brady Twin Over Full Solid Wood and why it would make a great bed bunk choice for your kids.
- Has one full and twin bed frame
- Detaches into two beds
- No box spring needed
- Guardrails and support slats included
- Ladder is removable
- Easy to assemble
- Stylish, fun, convenient, and budget-friendly
- Saves space
- Comes in four colors: white, black, gray, and graphite blue
- Expert assembly offered for an extra fee
- Loved by both kids and parents
- Stylish and sturdy wooden frame
- Color choices available to match any room décor
- Safe and fun for kids to use
- Bottom bunk big enough for a parent to sleep in when needed
- Easy to assemble no need to spend on expert assembly
- Sturdier than metal framed bunk beds
- More expensive option
- Wooden frames crack more easily than metal frames
- Cannot withstand roughhousing
- Installation can be too complicated for the inexperienced
- Heavy to lift
- Some may be shipped with missing parts
For parents who want to spend a little extra to ensure a stylish overall look, the Dorel Living Brady Twin Over Full Solid Wood is a great bunk bed option. It’s sleek and sturdy design makes it popular with parents, but it still remains fun and functional for the kids. It’s a bunk bed that comes highly recommended by parents and will surely please your children.
Bunk beds are considered a practical bed type by many parents. It allows you the opportunity to save money and space while ensuring your children remain comfortable at home.
Although they are not as popular as they were back in the day, bunk beds are slowly making a comeback because they have impressed both parents and kids and have been recommended by those who use them.
Choose the best bunk beds by considering your child’s needs and your budget. After all, your family deserves only the best.